Monday, November 24, 2014

Mary J. Blige: #TheLondonSessions - album review #O2O

I participated in the Mary J Blige The London Sessions album review program as a member of One2One Network. I was provided a free album to review. All views expressed are the opinion of Just Say I Told You So.
Mary J. Blige has been on the music scene for quite a while. She is known for the deep emotion she brings to every bar she sings. Now she's back with something completely new... 

Mary's new album: The London Sessions is a clear departure from her usual soul. This time she traveled across the ocean to collaborate with some of the UK's hottest talents (Sam Smith, Emile Sandé, Jimmy Napes, Naughty Boy, and Sam Romans). 



In the past she has penned some prolific heartbreaking ballads, during the most turbulent times in her life. But there is something noticeably softer about Mary on this album. I don't know if it's the London vibe or the fact that Mary is happy! Whatever it is, it's kinda nice.

The London Session tracks:

  1. Therapy
  2. Doubt
  3. Not loving you
  4. When you're gone
  5. Right Now
  6. My loving
  7. Long hard look
  8. Whole damn year
  9. Nobody but you
  10. Pick me up
  11. Follow
  12. Worth my time
Now I know the track list may not sound very happy, but if you've have followed Mary over the course of her career, I promise you will hear the difference. And I'm not saying that I like sad Mary better, I'm just saying happy Mary is different... 

The vocals are the Mary we all know and love, strong. The lyrics are powerful and thought-provoking. The musical layout is diverse, a definite deviation from the Mary of old. I like it!

It takes guts to step outside of your comfort zone. Especially in an industry that is fickle, and the music industry is definitely that. As an artist, I imagine it must be difficult to take a leap a faith, without knowing how your audience will receive it. But there is no growth without risk, that's for sure. So I say bravo to Mary for putting it all on the table... I think she scored!

The London Sessions will be on sale December 2nd. You pre-order your copy on iTunes and Amazon.

You can follow Mary on Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Won't you be a dear and leave a comment so that I know you stopped by, thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Designed By: Wacky Jacqui's Designs